My stuff

Just another blog...or is it?

LEDs Rooflight

At some point I decided to replace the traditional roof light bulb with several LEDs. No apparent reason, I was just feeling creative 🙂

I used 5x 5mm white LEDs on a plastic ring with an appropriate resistor. The resulting light intensity was a bit improved but nothing special.

I believe that in the near future I will be revising this mod. Plenty more LEDs can fit in the provided space. Also the new types of LEDs are much brighter 🙂

[UPDATE: 10/07/08]

This mod was one of the first mods to ever do on my Glanza, so I decided that it was time for an upgrade 🙂

I purchased some time ago a couple of small aluminium boards with 8 surface mounted LEDs each, and eventually yesterday, I found some free time to replace this ancient mod.

When I originally made this mod, I short circuited the 12V with the ground (screw). When the short circuits occurred, the rooflight’s switch was set to turn on when doors are opened. As a result, no fuse was burnt, but my roof light wouldn’t turn on when doors were opened.

I asked several electricians’ opinion, but nobody seemed to know what could be the problem. I kept getting irrelevant answers. After a looooong research, I discovered that this caused 2 copper lines of the circuitry at the back of my dials to melt!!! I corrected this problem by soldering some wires and closing the melted copper gap, and finally! I had light when I opened my doors! 🙂

This time, I was more “original”. I short circuited the 12V with the ground (screw again), but this time the rooflight’s switch was set to be always turned on. Therefore this time I burnt something else!

I did the usual checks, but all the fuses (at the drivers’ leg space), were fine and the back of the dials had no melted copper lines. After a long troubleshooting procedure I and my friend Paris went through, the problem was located at a burnt fuse, in the relays’ box at the engine bay!

I had no idea Starlets have fuses in there. I thought it was just relays! I still can’t believe that I have wasted so much precious time on this thing!!!

Anyway, at least it worked, and now I know all the possible scenarios if something similar goes wrong next time 🙂

Updated: July 9, 2008 — 8:00 pm
My stuff © 2016 Frontier Theme